Russian steelmaker NLMK Group has started to supply steel plate rolled from low-alloyed, abrasion-resistant Quard. The product is being supplied to leading Russian mining companies including Urals Mining and Metallurgical Company.

According to NLMK, Quard is supplied to companies that mine ore, including iron, polymetallic and copper. The Quard plates, claims the company, ensure ultra-high resistance under load and are also used by companies that mine coal, which produces varying degrees of wear and tear on equipment.

Quard and Quend are two products from NLMK that are used for the manufacturing and repair of mining machinery and equipment, such as dump truck bodies and excavator buckets.

Both products are produced at NLMK’s Clabecq plant in Belgium from speciality slabs produced at the company’s Lipetsk plant.

NLMK claims that use of Quard steel can more than triple the lifetime of a product compared with products made from standard grades of construction steel.

Ilya Gushchin, NLMK's vice president for sales, said that the company started supplying Quard and Quend plate last year and that customer numbers were growing. This year the company will expand its supply network in Russia by setting up additional logistics sites in the Urals and Siberian Federal Districts.

NLMK's Quard and Quend production capacity is 250kt/yr Customers in Europe make up 70% of sales with the remaining 30% going to North America, South East Asia and the CIS.