ArcelorMittal completes Corpus Christi HBI acquisition
1st July, 2022
Global steel giant ArcelorMittal has completed its acquisition of voestalpine's hot briquetted iron (HBI) plant near Corpus Christi, Texas. The steelmaker has an 80% shareholding in the business.
AI start-up partners with Materials Processing Institute
30th June, 2022
Artificial intelligence and climate tech start-up Carbon RE has partnered with the Materials Processing Institute, a leading UK materials and industrial decarbonization research organization, to adapt Carbon Re’s AI technology to the steelmaking process.
Leading US steelmaker announces JV to reduce emissions
29th June, 2022
Leading US steel manufacturer Steel Dynamics Inc has announced the creation of a strategic joint venture with Aymium, a leading producer of renewable biocarbon products of which Steel Dynamics owns 55% and Aymium owns the remaining 45%.
Latest issue: June digital issue: Decarbonization Special
Decarbonisation is the big topic of the moment and it will be with us for more than just a fleeting period, it’s something that will be with us for decades to come. We hear a lot about 2030 and 2050 and I’d imagine that you, like me, start to wonder about bigger, more existential matters, like where will I be and what will I be doing in 28 years from now? I’m not sure I want to know.
Decarbonisation is a subject jam-packed with facts and figures and questions one can preface with the phrase ‘did you know that...?’ For example, did you know that today’s steel industry needs around two billion cubic metres of natural gas per year in its processes and that’s roughly as much as Berlin’s and Munich’s joint consumption? Were you aware that the steel sector accounts for 2.6Gt of carbon…
23rd June, 2022
22nd June, 2022
20th June, 2022
- Optimized production of automotive steel sheet through application of AI
- World Steel Association General Assembly 2019, Monterrey, Mexico
- "Be safe, be proud, make money."
- Raw material granulation and sintering
- Doubling the life of torpedo ladles
- Desulphurising liquid steels
- Models for EAF energy efficiency
- Capacity runs riot
- Two new furnaces for US hot strip mill